Publish: 25 Mar 2020, 10:14 pm
Considering the epidemic of coronavirus or COVID-19 worldwide, the government has prolonged the date of hajj registration until April 8 this year.
At the secretariat on Wednesday, State Minister for Religious Affairs Sheik Md Abdullah told the media of the decision.
“Communication with Saudi Arabia is currently suspended due to coronavirus threat but registrations will continue so that we can send the pilgrims immediately after the situation improves,” he said.
Hajj registration started on March 2.
Pilgrims will have to pay Tk 1,51,990 for registration under private management, Abdullah said adding that no additional charges will be allowed.
The cabinet authorized the draft Hajj Package-2020 earlier on February 24, setting the minimum cost for a pilgrim planning to go to Tk 3.15 lakh under government-managed package-3.
This year, 1,37,198 citizens are expected to go to Saudi Arabia under government control to conduct hajj— 17,198 of them.